Drexel Autonomous systems lab

DASL/PIRE Visa & Travel information 

Return - Blog  

Check out my Blog of my day to day experiences at:


This information should facilitate future DASL Co-Op students to acquire crucial Visa information. 


Korean Consulate, New York  -  1.646.674.6000

Susan Braun, International Co-Op Advisor Drexel SCDC
Phone:  215.895.670 Email: skb32@drexel.edu

Visa Type

D-4 Student (Research-Extended Stay Visa)

183 days:  Look up Co-Op Calendar Start/Stop Date


Substantiating documents of Research/Letter of Reference. Specifically a letter from the KAIST stating a legitimate reason and purpose to come to South Korea (Notarized Document). As of January 7th 2008 documents most be issued by KAIST and approved by the ad ministry of justice in South Korea.  Communicate with Dr. Oh for further Details.

Present a Financial statement with prove of at least $3000 in personal savings. 

Visa Application Form, four 2"x2" photos (two for VISA forms and the others for alien card registration talked about below), Valid Passport, $45 dollar processing charge

Dr. Oh handled letter and obtaining of VISA, this may change with future students. Consult Dr. Oh on issue.


American Citizen - U.S. Department of State

Passport fees about total $100 and will be processed in at least 4 weeks. There are express services available. Acquire at local post office or other farcicality; listing available on website. 

Korean Air Skypass

Dr. Oh will fly his students on Korean Air.  The student can benefit by enrolling in Skypass to earn mileage to be used as a part of the Star Alliance


Make sure all immunizations are up to date. South Korea specific immunizations for travelers.  Drexel has a Travel Health Doctor for more information.

Mandatory supplemental insurance through SCDC.  Insurance cover emergency medical large bill items such as airlift ($60-$80).  For more information contact Susan Braun.  Carried through Aetna Health Care check to see if personal provider may cover, than insurance may be waved.  


Nuri Hall is your place of residence during you six month stay. It is about a 2.5km walk from KAIST, It not located on campus. Look at Google earth here!  Hubo lab has a room reserved, on arrival discuss payment with Dr. Jun Oh. It costs 110,000 won per month to live there. Pay cycle falls on the 15th of every month.

Alien Card

  Any foreign student that is living in Korea for more than 90 days need to get an alien card. This is mandatory even thou you have a six month VISA.  It is an ID that you keep, like a driver license, it helps that you don't always have to keep your passport on you. To obtain the alien card is totally up to you to take care of, KAIST does not handle this. The Daejeon Immigration office handles this process. IMPORTANT: Bring Passport, Hubo lab address, your cell number, and the two extra pictures, Dates of arrival and departure!

Directions to Office:
Arrive at Government Complex Daejeon Subway station. Take line towards Panam University, and get off at Oryong Station (4th stop). Get on Exit 1 (check) and head left for two major blocks. Turn left and walk another block, the building has a  low brick wall with a gate in the front on your right. The building is across from the Sun Hospital (Green sign with white cross). Also the building is surrounded by Pharmacies (역극) you can't miss it.

After arrival:
Enter the building turn to your left and find the tray that is labeled alien registration. Pick one of the tables and fill out the form. Then head to you right and pick a number from the machine and wait for your number to show up on the displays above the booths. The tellers also speak English, so the process should not be an issue. Hand over your forms and PASSPORT. They will hold hold onto your passport for 2-3 weeks, then you will have to return to the office and pick up your card and passport.

Re-Entry Permit

If you are planning to visit Japan, China or any other country during your stay in Korea you need to get additional stamps for re-entry. Either a single or multi entry are offered. You can have this done at the same time as your alien card registration. Stamps are obtained ( Single = 10,000 won, Multi = 50,000 won) This will also be processed in the 2-3 week time period and will be added to your passport. This stamp allows you to not invalidate your student VISA if you leave the country. 

International Banking

Citi Bank - Citi is the most popular American related bank in South Korea. In Daejeon there is one located with in walking distance of Nuri hall (2.5Km). No international fees for transactions and ATM locations through out South Korea if the account is opened in US. This is what Bryan and myself used with out an issues, we would with draw about 300,000won at a time so we don't have to go the ATM every week. 

Woori Bank -  No international fees for transactions and ATM locations through out South Korea and on KAIST campus.  A US based account does  not transfer to Korea, therefore an account needs to be created in Korea upon arrival if local ATM wants to be used.  

In country Information

Cell Pones - I have purchased two cell phones for use for future students. During each transition period the cell phones will be brought back to the US and given to the next respective students. The cell phones are pre-paid phones that need to be be recharged with "call minutes (seconds)". Go to LG Telecom  phone distributor give cell number and money to recharge the service. If you have any issues contact Hubo lab member to help you.

Personnel Computer - This is personal preference upon arrival. The Hubo lab supplies lab PC to be used. The computers are basic P4 processors, but work fine.  When my computer Hubo model got to complex I personally built a new desktop PC from scrounged parts, Dual Core 1.6Ghz. I had to buy a Graphics Card and Hard drive with my own money, and I am not leaving those in Korea.  Bryan and I both used the lab computers, frankly so we did not have to carry our heavy laptops 2.5km every day back and forth from the Lab. Also, so we don't have to change our IP's every time we plug into a wall jack. The IP address are static in Korea, not dynamic like in the US. We typically left our laptops in the dorms when we went to work.

Changing IP - Basic Tutorial

Electrical Power - The power used in Korea is 220VAC @ 60Hz and need a special plug to be acquire it from wall jack. This adapter can be bought at KAIST store for 400won a piece. WARNING: Make sure that your devices are rated to handle the stated requirements (Most laptops are rated for these requirements but make sure, DON'T assume)! 220VAC to 120VAC converters are available at KAIST store, but are rated for low wattage (100w). I used one to charge my electric tooth brush and shaver.

The Will - So Bryan and I are leaving in our name some items that we purchased that are worthless to us to bring home, but will be prized by future PIRE generations. The following list is what we are leaving as necessities that they don't have to re-buy and our hopes that they continue to add to it "to make it little easier for the next group on arrival."

Cell phone (2)
Cell phone Charger (2)
US to Korean plug adapters (2)
220VAC to 120VAC converters (1)
Hair Dryer (1)
Iron (1)
Alarm Clock (1)
Extension cord (1)
Toilet paper rolls (15)
Mattress Pad (1)
Laundry Detergent  (1)
Bathroom Cleaning supplies (Toilet Brush, Scrub brush, Clorox Bleach, Toilet bowl cleaner) 
Assorted Christmas decorations (lights and stockings)   

Return - Blog

Valid XHTML | Valid CSS | Copyright Roy J. Gross | Design by SmallPark