COM 310 Study Guide
1. What are six characteristics of technical documents?
2. What are eight measures of excellence for assessing technical communication?
1. What are four moral standards to inform ethical thinking in the workplace?
2. What three kinds of ethical obligation does a technical communicator assume?
3. What four bodies of law should technical communicators be aware of?
4. What are three practical things for fostering a culture of ethical conduct in the workplace?
5. What are some ethical considerations that arise for technical writers when they communicate across cultures?
6. What are nine ethical principles for technical communicators?
1. What should be the first step in producing any technical document?
2. What questions should the purpose statement behind a document answer?
3. What are some ways for producing ideas about your document's topic?
4. What are five main tasks in structuring your document?
1. What aspect of the writing situation should determine the content and form of a document?
2. What are six factors to consider when writing for your most important readers?
3. What are the differences among primary, secondary, and tertiary audiences?
4. What are some reader's beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that might influence the content and form of a document?
5. Describe the seven cultural variables that are reflected in technical communication.
1. What are three ways to display the arrangement of a document prominently?
2. What are eight patterns of organizing information typically used in technical writing?
1. What are five elements of a technical document that contribute to its coherence?
2. What are the attributes of an effective title for a technical document?
3. What are the attributes of effective headings in a technical document?
4. What are the advantages of using lists instead of paragraphs in a technical document?
5. What are the three components of effective paragraphs?
6. What are three kinds of words and phrases that will add coherence to sentences in a paragraph?
7. What aspects of the design of a
technical document will contribute to its coherence?
1. What five kinds of communication do information reports include?
2. What are three special considerations in writing information reports to readers in other cultures?
3. What are the usual phases in the process of writing information reports?
Chapter 20 (558-577):
1. What is the primary concern in writing user documentation?
2. What are four general categories of guidelines for safety labeling?
3 What is the four-part structure for the typical instruction guide?
Chapter 20 (539-557):
1. Why are definitions important in technical communication?
2. What are the steps to writing a definition?
3. What are three types of definition?
4. What are nine ways to extend a definition?
5. Where are definitions placed?
6. What three things require descriptions in technical communication?
7. What four principles should guide the writing of descriptions?
1. Why are graphics important in technical communication?
2. What are six characteristics of effective graphics?
3. What are four functions of graphics?
4. What are some guidelines for using photographs effectively?
1. What is meant by the phrase, "you attitude?"
2. What are the main elements of the three common formats of the formal letter?
3. What are the common types of formal letter?
4. How is a typical memo organized?
1. In what ways is a proposal persuasive?
2. What is an RFP?
3. What is the difference between solicited and unsolicited proposals?
4. What is the difference between internal and external proposals?
5. What are the parts of a proposal?
6. How is a research proposal different from a proposal for goods or services?
1. What are seven principles for structuring effective sentences?
2. What are four principles for choosing words and phrases?
3. What are some special considerations to observe when writing for non-native speakers?