CONSTITUTION of the West Indian Student Establishment (WISE)
As revised July 2005
Article I - Name
The name of this organization shall be the West Indian Student Establishment, hereinafter referred to as WISE.
Article II - Purpose
The purpose of this organization shall be to socially, academically, and culturally unite the West Indian student population at Drexel University in order to provide a channel for the sharing of the Caribbean culture, traditions and beliefs with the rest of the Drexel University community.
Article III – Membership
A. Qualifications of Members
1. All currently enrolled full-time undergraduate students in good standing at Drexel University interested in the West Indian culture, traditions and/or beliefs are eligible to be considered a WISE member regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender, marital status, color, veteran status, or disability.
2. All members shall be required to complete an annual membership form, pay the annual $10.00 dues, and attend a minimum of two general body meetings each term and 50 % of all events hosted by WISE during the current academic year in order to be considered an active member.
B. Rights of Members
All members have the right to:
1. Vote in WISE elections and referendums.
2. Hold an office position if qualified and duly elected or appointed, unless previously impeached.
3. Speak and be heard at meetings of the Student Assembly.
4. Have reasonable access to official WISE information. This includes but is not limited to meetings records, Executive Committee meeting reports, Executive Committee activities and actions and application-related records on candidates for election or appointment.
5. Receive a current copy of the constitution and by-laws.
All members have the right and responsibilities as defined in the University’s Student Handbook which cannot be impeded by WISE.
Article IV – Officers and Committees
A. The Executive Committee Criteria
The Executive Committee shall be comprised of the elected officers of the organization and shall meet to finalize agenda items, prepare informational reports, and collaborate on the business of the organization.
1. All officers must be regularly enrolled undergraduate students in good standing at Drexel University. He or she must have been recognized as an active WISE member for at least one term prior to being elected or appointed.
2. He or she should have the desire to uphold WISE’s mission by representing the diverse interests of the organization, providing for the needs and welfare within the group, and providing a channel for the free expression of each member’s ideas, culture, traditions and beliefs.
B. Election Procedures
1. Eligible candidates shall be nominated by the Executive Committee, "from the floor" by the Student Assembly, or by some combination of these.
2. Elections may be conducted during the first general meeting of the summer term or by casting ballots at a pre-established time. Votes shall represent a minimum of ¼ of the voting body and may be cast by a show of hands or by secret ballot.
3. Officers shall be selected based on a simple majority vote. No student may hold multiple executive office positions during one school year unless otherwise specified in this constitution.
4. An elected officer shall remain in office for one year; beginning in summer and ending the following summer term. If an officer shall be impeached or removed from office, his/ her time in officer will end IMMEDIATELY after the impeachment process and his/her position will be vacant.
5. When vacancies occur, a qualified individual may be appointed by the President if and only if 3 additional executive officers approve of the individual filling the vacancy. If no general consensus is met, the President must fill the vacancy until further noticed.
C. Duties and Responsibilities of the Executive Committee
1. The President shall NOT be a graduating senior and must have been identified as a full-time undergraduate student in good standing at Drexel University. He/she must have been identified as an active member of the West Indian Student Establishment two consecutive terms prior to his/her presidency.
He or she shall:
a. preside at all meetings of the club
b. represent the club to the University and others
c. convene the Executive Committee at least monthly when school is in session
He or she shall have the power to:
a. call special meetings of the Student Assembly by notifying the Secretary at least 24 hours in advance so that all officers can be notified.
b. appoint chairpersons to committees where the chairperson is not already defined in this constitution or where the office of a designated chairperson is vacant. This appointment is subject to a majority of votes by the rest of the Executive Committee.
c. veto any resolution or legislation within 72 hours of the legislation being voted on and passed with just cause.
d. have the final say of all Executive Committee decisions, but can be overturned on a 2/3 vote by the Assembly
The President is not a voting member of the Assembly unless it is a tie breaking situation.
2. The Vice President shall be a full time undergraduate student in good standing at Drexel University.
He or she shall be one of the WISE liaisons to the Minority Leader Council (MLC). The primary role of the liaison is to report to the general body of WISE what is happening in the MLC and, to the MLC what is happening in the WISE. The liaison is to protect the interest of the WISE in the meetings of the MLC.
In the absence of the President, the Vice President shall have all the powers and responsibilities associated with the President position.
3. The Treasurer shall be a full time undergraduate student in good standing at Drexel University.
He or she shall:
a. be the WISE liaison to SAFAC, a University committee, and shall keep the Executive Committee abreast of all monetary relations with SAFAC.
b. be the WISE liaison to Versatile, WISE’s own cheer team and shall keep the Executive Committee abreast of all monetary relations with Versatile.
c. be the chairperson of the fundraiser committee
d. prepare financial statements and reports to the co-President and/or any member of the Executive Committee
e. keep up-to-date records of all financial matters, including cash transactions, WISE receipts, expenses, and accounting matters related to the 17 and 71 accounts. When leaving office, the Treasurer shall turn over all notes, receipts, statements and account numbers to the Executive Committee as they are the property of WISE.
4. The Secretary shall be a full time undergraduate student in good standing at Drexel University.
He or she shall:
a. be the Contact Person for the University. All information that has to be relayed to the organization shall go through the Secretary.
b. take accurate minutes at each meeting, take attendance, mail official notices of WISE, create a monthly bulletin or calendar, and assist with all secretarial duties such as typing, copying, phone calls, etc.
c. keep up-to-date records of all secretarial matters, including minutes, notices and literature of WISE on file or electronic media. When leaving office, the Secretary shall turn over all notes, literature, statements, electronic media and minutes to the Executive Committee as they are the property of WISE.
5. The Public Relations shall be a full time undergraduate student in good standing at Drexel University.
He or she shall:
a. be an interface between WISE and the public; which shall include the Drexel community, non-Drexel community, surrounding colleges, universities and local businesses.
b. keep not only Drexel University but our surrounding counterparts such as the University of Pennsylvania and Temple University informed about all events and activities of WISE
c. be responsible for the creation and distribution of flyers, mail, and notices made by the Executive Committee to the Student Assembly, University and community.
6. The Events Coordinator shall be a full time undergraduate student in good standing at Drexel University.
He or she shall:
7. The WISE Liaison to the Minority Leader Council (MLC) shall be a full time undergraduate student in good standing at Drexel University. He or she shall be appointed the President to assist the Vice President as the other MLC liaison. This appointment is subject to a majority of votes by the rest of the Executive Committee.
He or she shall:
D. General Committees
All committees are to meet on at least a monthly basis unless otherwise noted and must submit a formal report including the minutes of meetings to the Executive Committee of WISE.
1. The Activities Committee shall be responsible for organizing activities that are of the interest to the members of WISE.
2. The Fundraising Committee shall be responsible for raising money for WISE
3. The Cultural Committee shall be responsible for representing the diversity of the West Indian student population at Drexel by gathering information on the traditions, culture and beliefs of the Caribbean to present to members of WISE and University at least twice (2) a term.
4. Versatile shall be WISE’s own cheer team. They shall be responsible for promoting WISE events, encouraging the student population to get involved in WISE activities and creating an environment that fosters the learning and acceptance of the West Indian culture.
5. Any officer of WISE has the right to motion to create a new committee and the President may appoint a chairperson(s) for these committees as the need arise.
E. Impeachment Procedures
1. Any member can request impeachment proceedings against an officer. Failure to carry out his/her duties as outlined in this constitution is grounds for an Impeachment process.
2. The members of WISE to the exclusion of the individual in question will form an Impeachment Committee that includes all Executive Committee members and a minimum of 5 members of the Student Assembly (the total count of this impeachment committee is to be an odd number). This committee has the duty of determining whether or not the charges are valid. Each member including the Executive Committee has a vote count of one (1).
3. If the charges are found valid the final decision of impeachment is given to the Student Assembly at the next general body meeting. If an individual has been impeached or removed from office, he or she shall have the option to remain as a member of WISE and part of the Student Assembly.
4. If the charges are unfounded the impeachment process is halted, and a report of the decision along with an explanation is given to the Student Assembly at the next meeting.
Article V - Meetings
1. Regular meetings of the WISE shall be held bi-weekly except final exams week, term breaks and University holidays.
2. Regular meetings of the Executive Committee shall be held monthly or as needed, and is required to meet with the Student Assembly during each month.
3. Meetings of the Student Assembly and committee meetings shall take place on a consistent time and day of the week in order to make it more accessible to a greater number of students and guests.
4. At the end of each general body meeting there shall be a ten (10) minute period of open orderly discussion.
Article VI - Decision Making Process
The process for general decision making shall be a simple majority of a quorum unless otherwise specified in this constitution. A quorum shall constitute a minimum of 25% of voting membership and 50% of all official Executive Committee officers.
Article VII -Alcohol
The health and safety of WISE’s members shall be the highest priority for officers, members, and advisor(s).
The possession, sale, use, or consumption of alcoholic beverages during an organization event, in any situation sponsored or endorsed by the organization, will be in compliance with any and all applicable laws of the state, county, city and, if on campus, Drexel University, and must comply with all state Alcohol Beverage Control statutes.
A full time faculty or staff member mandated by the University regulations shall be the primary advisor of WISE and shall be on record in the University.
A secondary advisor may be specially elected by the Executive Committee but may not serve on the Executive Committee of WISE. He or she may be a faculty, graduate student, professional, graduated alumni of the WISE or Senior of Drexel University.
Article IX – Amendment and Ratification Process
This constitution may be amended and ratified by a 2/3 vote of the Executive Committee and a majority vote of the TOTAL membership. It must then be approved by the University before it takes effect. The changed constitution shall supersede any and all previous Constitutions of WISE.
Article X – Dissolution
WISE may be voluntarily dissolved by decision of the Student Assembly and 2/3 of the Executive Committee. The Secretary must circulate the exact terms of any proposal sent by a member to dissolve the organization by providing a detailed letter to every active member of the organization not less than 90 days prior to the meeting.
Any such proposal shall be adopted if passed by a voting majority in excess of 80% of the active membership. In the event of dissolution of WISE any assets of WISE shall be placed at the disposal of Drexel University.
Final Revised Date: Thursday, September 8, 2005