Albertville, Alabama - Avenue Middle School
At night you will hear doors slamming and see lights flickering on and off. You'll lock your locker, leave and then walk back to your locker to find it unlocked. You'll also hear kids in the hallway and no one is there.
Anchorage, Alaska - Clark Middle School
This is an old school that is haunted by a woman in a white dress. She'll play with instruments in the band room, appear in empty hallways in the summer, and turn classroom lights off. She's not known to harm people, just to scare them. Most of the teachers tell the students there is a female ghost that comes up through the floors. Other teachers say there's no ghost, and it’s all hocus pocus.
Jerome, Arizona - Community Center
Locals call their community center "Spook Hall," because of the phantom of a prostitute seen there. The ghost from the front of the building to a few feet from the Little Daisy Hotel, where she disappears. The area used to be the site of the "cribs," small shacks used by prostitutes to entertain their clients. One of the women, who was accidentally stabbed during an argument between two miners, stills walks the street. Jerome was established in 1876, and a billion dollars worth of gold, silver, and copper were mined from the area in 77 years. There are so many ghosts here that a monthly newspaper called the "Jerome Ghost Post" was published for a time. But the town still offers such interesting diversions as the "Spirit Room Bar" and the "Haunted Hamburger" restaurant.
Eureka Springs, Arkansas - Crescent Hotel
A room in this 78-year-old resort hotel is haunted by the ghost of Michael, an Irish stonemason who worked on the hotel in 1885. The man fell from the roof and died in the second floor area which became Room 218. Now he plays tricks with the lights and TV, or pounds loudly from inside the thick walls in the room. But there are other spirits here. The ghost of a nurse dressed in white has been reported on the third floor. Another ghost here is a gentleman in Victorian clothing who haunts the lobby. He has been spotted at the bottom of the stairway and sitting at the lobby bar. Other apparitions have been sighted in Room 202 and Room 424. Built in the early 1800s, the resort hotel was used as a college in the 1920s and became a somewhat controversial hospital/health resort in the late 1930s. The confused ghost of Doctor Baker, the charlatan who ran the hospital in the 1930s, has been seen in the old Recreation Room and at the foot of the first floor stairway.
Sacramento, California - Queen Mary Hotel
Recent investigations of the Sacramento Theatre Company at 1419 H Street in downtown Sacramento have documented strong paranormal activity. Several anomalous light patterns recorded on infrared film at the same time two psychics were holding a meditative séance to conjure up spirits. At 3:00 AM in secure section of the auditorium, disembodied footsteps were recorded on audio tape. The 50-year-old vaudeville stage is home to a ghost that employees have named Pinky — because of the pinkish aura it manifests. The apparition has been seen on numerous occasions and is even credited with warning electricians of the impending collapse of an overhead lightbar. Several people could have been seriously injured had they not evacuated the area because of Pinky's ghost. In the last four years, psychics have detected the presence of five other spirits in the building.
Denver, Colorado - Cheesman Park
This innocent looking city park is built on top of a graveyard. The Mount Prospect graveyard, which came to be known as Boot Hill, was created in 1858. In 1873, officials renamed the place City Cemetery but only buried criminals, transients, and epidemic victims there. In 1893, the city gave notice that all bodies had to be removed within ninety days. Needless to say, most of the graves remained untouched. The city hired an undertaker to dig up the 6,000 to 10,000 remaining bodies, put them in 1-foot by 3½-foot pine boxes, and deliver them for burial at Riverside Cemetery. It was a horrifying sight. Workers broke corpses into pieces to get them to fit into the mini-caskets. Body parts littered the ground and got mixed together in the process. Many of the graves were looted by the men digging them up. During the work, psychics warned workers the dead would return unless a short prayer was uttered for each casket, but no one listened to them. One worker, removing valuable brass from the coffins, ran hysterically from the graveyard saying a ghost jumped on his back. People in neighboring houses reported confused spirits wandering through their homes or appearing in mirrors. A huge scandal erupted, and Mayor Platt Rogers ordered all work halted, while an investigation was conducted. No one was able to sort out the mess the workers left behind. The remaining bodies were plowed under, and grass and trees planted. Today, sensitives detect an undertone of sadness and confusion at the site, and some say they can hear a low moaning sound coming from the restless ground.
Easton/Monroe, Connecticut - Cemeteries
For many years, visitors to the Union Cemetery in Easton reported having conversations with lifelike apparitions, who walk among the tombstones and then disappear into thin air. This type of ghost, known as a "lepke," seems as real as any other person until it vanishes from sight. Acquaintances of people buried here say the apparitions talk and behave exactly as they did when alive. This is also the haunt of the infamous White Lady, observed many times over the last fifty years. The same White Lady ghost is seen at another nearby (Our Lady of the Rosary Chapel Cemetery ). She wears a white nightgown with a bonnet. In 1993, a local fireman "ran over" the ghost in his pickup truck. Sometimes witnesses observe dark, shadowy figures attempting to grab the White Lady. Investigator Ed Warren believes she is Mrs. Knot, whose husband was murdered near Easton in the 1940s. The woman may have been murdered too, shortly after her husband's funeral.
Dover, Delaware - Woodburn
Four ghosts haunt Delaware's Governor's Mansion. The great house was built in 1790 by a Revolutionary War Colonel, Charles Hillyard, on land given to his family by William Penn. When a Quaker by the name of Daniel Cowgill owned the house during the Civil War, a tunnel was dug from the cellar to the St. Jones River, and escaped slaves used the mansion as a stop on the Underground Railway. The house was haunted for over 160 years before it became the official home of the governor of Delaware in 1966. The first ghost at Woodburn appeared in 1805 to Lorenzo Dow, a Methodist evangelist staying there. He described the elderly "stranger upstairs" to the wife of the owner of the house one day. She told him no one else lived in the house, but later she saw the same apparition. In the 1870s, another house guest had to be revived from a fainting spell, when he saw the ghost of an elderly man sitting by the fireplace. The phantom could be the original owner, Charles Hillyard, who died in the house. Another ghost is a man in a powdered wig, who has a predilection for fine wine. Governor Charles Terry Jr. accused the ghost of draining off some of the vintage wines in the cellar of the mansion, and one of his servants saw the ghost help himself from a decanter in the dining room. Earlier residents placated the dry spirit by setting out wine decanters, which mysteriously drained overnight. The ghost of a slave kidnapper seems to stay near an old poplar tree in the yard. It is the tree from which he was hanged, although he was not strung up with a rope. He climbed the tree hoping to kidnap runaway slaves, when the house was owned by abolitionist Daniel Cowgill. But as fate would have it, the man slipped, and his head was caught between two branches. On moonlit nights his struggling ghost can be seen dangling from the gnarled old tree. His awful moans and chain rattling sometimes fill the inside of the house as well. The fourth ghost is a little girl in a red-checked, gingham dress. She was seen playing by the pool in the garden during the 1940s but has never been identified. At the January 1985 inauguration party for Governor Michael Castle, guests complained of an invisible presence tugging at their clothing, and one woman saw the apparition of a little girl in a corner of the reception room. The governor himself reported a few ghostly encounters and even allowed a teacher and three of her students to bring their tape recorders and Ouija boards to Woodburn. After spending the night, the children were genuinely spooked, insisting that a portrait of a woman in one of the rooms kept smiling at them.
Disctric Of Columbia - Old Stone House Museum
Built in 1795 by Christopher Layman, this old farmhouse is haunted by eleven ghosts. The most active has been dubbed "George." He haunts the third-floor bedroom and has a violent hatred of women. George has been accused of shoving, strangling, knifing, and even raping women who venture into his room. Residents and visitors to the house, which is now a museum, have reported encountering his malevolent presence several times. Another ghost here is a lady wearing a brown, 1700s-style dress. She is seen near the fireplace. The phantom of a young woman, with tight ringlets in her hair, has been seen running up and down the staircase. The apparition of a stout woman in an antebellum gown is seen on the staircase and in the kitchen. Also seen in the kitchen area is the ghost of a man wearing short pants with long stockings. A man with long, dark blond hair, wearing a blue jacket, once materialized near a front room window. The wraith of a small boy named "Joey" has been seen running up and down the third-floor hallway, and a little black boy has also appeared there. A German carpenter, thought to be the ghost of Christopher Layman, has been reported in the house. Many people observed a Colonial gentleman who partially materialized in the master bedroom. Another unidentified Colonial man has been seen on the second-floor. The upper floors of this house were used by families living on the property, while the lower floors were rented out to travelers. In the 1930s, the house became a bordello, and then it was used as an auto shop. The National Park Service acquired the property in 1950 and restored most of the building.
Rockledge, Florida - Asheley's Restaurant
The ghost of a young girl, dressed in Roaring-Twenties clothing, haunts the ladies room here. Her likeness emerges from one of the stalls or appears in the mirrors. Several women have reported feeling a choking sensation when passing through the corridor to the Ladies Room. The ghost ventures to other places in the Tudor-style building, only to break dinnerware in the Kitchen, turn lights on and off in the Bar, or shove customers from behind in the Dining Room. She is thought to be either the spirit of Ethyl Allen, brutally murdered in a storage room here in the 1920s, or the ghost of a young woman who died in a car accident on Highway 1 in front of the restaurant. Dozens of employees and customers have reported apparitions over the years, and sightings have increased since 1979. A 1993 investigation documented a variety of phenomena, including a swirling mass of ghostlike energy recorded on a thermographic camera.
Savannah, Georgia - Pirate's House Restaurant
Although this house was once the home of famous pirate Jean Laffite, it is the ghost of another notorious pirate, known as Captain Flint, who haunts the place. It is said that as he lay on his deathbed, he kept calling to his First Mate, Darby McGraw, to bring him more rum. Today, his cries are still heard by visitors to the restaurant that now occupies the house. His scar-faced phantom has also been seen roaming in the basement tunnel. The tunnel, big enough to drive a bus through, was discovered during renovations. It leads to the river and probably served as an escape route for pirates trying to make it back to the sea.
Honolulu, Hawaii - Hilton Hotel
The ghost of a beautiful woman in a red dress has been seen wandering the halls here. In 1959, an employee saw her vanish before his eyes, as he was escorting her to a room. Some say she is the ghost of a woman murdered in a tower room, others say she is none other than the volcano goddess herself, Madame Pele.
Genesee, Idaho - Joyce Building
This single-story brick building was built in 1880 and used for a variety of commercial purposes, including a museum that housed many rock crystals and Indian artifacts. Sara Joyce purchased the property in 1974 and moved there with her daughter, Heidi, and her granddaughter, Solara. Almost immediately, the family noticed weird happenings and unexplainable sounds. Then one night, the ghost of a tall, thin, elderly man, bathed in an eerie blue light, appeared in the doorway of Sara's bedroom and asked: "Do you see me? Do you see me?" Not long afterwards, the phantom of a huge silver-gray rat appeared in the kitchen. Sara’s son, Bill, later discovered the mummified corpse of a large rat under the floorboards when he remodeled the kitchen. In fact, whenever Bill visited to help renovate the building, he would be plagued by spirits interfering with his work. He tried to exorcise the ghosts, but they always returned. Once a visiting ballet dancer from Australia was awakened by a female ghost with long black hair, who tried to get into a sleeping bag with her. The experience so impressed the lady, that she stayed on for quite some time, trying to get to the bottom of the strange encounter.
Decatur, Illinois - Harrold House
Investigator Cheri Mohr Drake, of the American Ghost Society, undertook an investigation of the Harrold House in Decatur, Illinois, while attending the recent Ghost Conference there. The house is located at 746 West Wood Street in Decatur. It belongs to Amy and Tim Patrick, who live there with their two small children. There are three known ghosts: a small boy, a woman who stands on the front porch, and a middle-aged man. The man is most likely Frank Harrold, who was involved in a scandal centering around a missing $25,000 from the local bank he worked for. After the money was discovered missing, Frank was found shot to death the next day at his farm in nearby Clinton, Illinois. The year was 1925. The case was ruled a suicide, but many suspected it was a murder. Amy Patrick thinks it is Frank's ghost trying to tell her he was murdered and had nothing to do with stealing the money. The investigation of the premises yielded several unexplainable photographs.
Indianapolis, Indiana - Hannah House
The sickening smell of rotting flesh drifts from a second-floor bedroom here, and mysterious cold spots seem to move about under their own volition. Sometimes, the apparition of a bearded man in a black frock coat can be seen. This Italianate mansion was built in 1858 by state legislator Alexander M. Hannah, but it was not until 1967, after the house had sat vacant for five years, that strange things started happening. Psychics say the overpowering stench of death on the second-floor comes from a stillborn child, whose birth was artificially induced after it started to putrefy within the body of Elizabeth Hannah. The apparition of Alexander Hannah was last reported in 1972, standing on the second-floor near the stairway arch. The ghost of an unidentified woman was reported near a window on the same floor, and phantom slaves have been seen hiding in the basement. Other eerie effects, such as moving chandeliers and picture frames, and unaccountable sounds, have been witnessed by television crews investigating the grand but spooky old house.
Dubuque, Iowa - Barn Community Theatre Company
Dubuque’s Grand Opera House was opened in 1890 and became a movie house in 1928. In 1986, the building was renovated and turned into a community theater. About that time, people started hearing weird voices and shuffling footsteps in the deserted building. Employees blamed the unseen spirits for hiding objects, changing lighting, and playing pranks. Then in 1991, apparitions started appearing in the back of the theater. Investigators later discovered that after the opera house became a movie theater, cleaning women called police several times complaining of strange voices in the building at night.
Leavenworth, Kansas - Fort Leavenworth
A bevy of ghosts haunt this base, the oldest continuously operated military post west of the Mississippi. Many people have witnessed the ghost of Catherine Sutter walking among the tombstones of the National Cemetery and on the grounds of the present Golf Course. Bound for Oregon, she stopped over at the fort in 1880, with her husband and two children. One day, her husband sent the children out to collect firewood, but they never returned. The Sutters stayed on through the winter, hoping against hope that their loved ones would be found, and Catherine spent many lonely hours walking through the snow calling out to her children. That same year, the distraught woman caught pneumonia and died. However, her apparition, wearing an old calico dress and black shawl, is still seen desperately searching for her lost children. Sometimes she is observed carrying a lantern, while other times just her voice can be heard, calling out from the darkness. Another ghost reported in the cemetery is Chief Joseph, a proud Nez Perce Indian leader, who was incarcerated here in 1877. Several ghosts populate the Rookery, the oldest house on the base. The apparitions of a busy-body old woman, a bushy-haired old man in a white robe, and an angry young girl disturb residents trying to sleep in the 162-year-old house. Sheridan House is haunted by the vengeful spirit of Mrs. Sheridan, wife of General Philip H. Sheridan. In 1869, he deserted his wife on her deathbed to go to Chicago on business. A few doors down, at the Chief of Staff's Quarters, the sounds of a tea party can be heard coming from the empty parlor. The presence of a man with a mustache and goatee is occasionally felt at the McClellan Officer's Quarters. His apparition has appeared in the fireplace, and his loud footsteps are heard late at night, stumbling through the house. The former site of St. Ignatius Chapel is haunted by the ghost of the priest, who burnt to death in a 1875 fire that destroyed the building. Father Fred has turned up at the fireplace, in the kitchen, near a sewing machine and other places in the new house that was built on the site. Houses along Sumner Place are haunted by the presence of a Lady in Black. No one knows what she wants, but she is very domestic, and is sometimes seen trying to calm crying children or attempting to help with the dishes. The ghost of General George Custer has been seen roaming the first floor of the General's Residence.
Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky - Mammoth Cave
The largest cave in the world has attracted a number of ghosts. One is a black slave guide named Stephen Bishop, who loved the cave so much he refused to leave it, even when offered his freedom. Another spirit of the cave is a Southern lady named Melissa, who brought her Yankee lover to the cave in 1843. She took the man deep within the cave to Purgatory Point and left him there as a prank. Unfortunately, the man was never seen again, although Melissa's ghost still searches the area known as Echo River. The ghost of Floyd Collins, who died after being trapped for sixteen days in nearby Crystal Cave, is also said to wander the grounds. The case became so popular that in 1926, Collins' body was removed from his family plot and displayed in a glass coffin at the entrance to Crystal Cave. The grisly tourist attraction proved very profitable, until someone stole the corpse. It was finally returned to the cave, however, for some reason the body was missing its left leg. In recent years, tourists have reported the unidentified ghost of a man dressed in an old-fashioned cummerbund. Others have witnessed a disembodied pair of legs running down the hill near the main visitors' center. The legs were wearing denim overalls and work shoes. What the lost legs have to do with the other hauntings here is still an unsolved mystery, but most researchers agree that Mammoth Cave is one of the nation’s most haunted locations. So far, over 150 sightings of ghosts have been reported.
St. Francisville, Louisiana - Myrtles Plantation
Many ghosts roam the halls of this picturesque home, built in 1796 by General David Bradford. There have been ten murders in the house, plus at least one suicide. A frequent visitor is the ghost of Cleo, a former slave hung for murdering two little girls. General Bradford's son-in-law, Clarke Woodruff, cut off the black woman's ear for eavesdropping, and she took her revenge by mixing oleander into the children's birthday cake. Another ghostly guest is attorney William Winter, who lived here from 1860 to 1871. He was shot by a stranger on his front porch. The lawyer staggered into the house and made it up seventeen steps of the stairway before he collapsed and died. His ghost still plods up those seventeen stairs. Ghosts from the slave graveyard on the property still report for chores, and the ghosts of the two children poisoned by Cleo play on the verandah. One ghost, dressed in khaki pants, is said to meet visitors at the gate and tell them the plantation is closed. Jane Roberts, a psychic who investigated the house, said that walking into the parlor was like walking into a crowded cocktail party full of departed spirits. Frances Kerman, who now runs the former plantation as a bed-and-breakfast inn, says the ghosts have proved to her the reality of life after death.
Kennebunkport, Maine - Captain Fairfield Inn
This Federal-style mansion is haunted by the ghost of Captain James Fairfield, who was captured and imprisoned by the British during the War of 1812. After he was released in 1815, he settled in Kennebunkport with his wife, Lois, and built this house. He died of pneumonia just five years later, at the age of 38. During restoration of this bed and breakfast inn, Fairfield’s ghost was seen hovering in a dark corner of the basement, and guests have reported sensing Fairfield’s affable presence in their rooms.
Baltimore, Maryland - USF Constellation
This proud frigate is haunted by three ghosts from the early 1800s. One is a sailor in an old naval uniform who is sighted on the Forecastle Deck. His appearances are so regular, that Navy Commander Brougham was able to take a photograph of him in December 1955. The second ghost is sailor Neil Harvey, sometimes seen on the Orlop Deck, below the main deck. He was strapped to a ship's gun and blown to pieces for falling asleep on watch in 1799. His uniformed apparition appeared to a Catholic priest touring the ship in 1964. The third ghost is the captain who ordered Harvey's grisly execution, Captain Thomas Truxtum. The Constellation is the first ship of the U.S. Navy, and the oldest commissioned warship in the world. It was built as a frigate in 1797 and rebuilt as a sloop of war in 1853. Following a $3.8 million renovation in 1995, the ship ought to be crawling with newly released spirits.
Ashland, Massachusetts - John Stone's Inn
The sign over the entrance to this 164-year-old pub offers "spirits, food and lodging," but it is not until you see Captain John Stone's picture staring down from above the bar, that you know about which kind of spirits they are talking. Daniel Webster gave speeches here, and there are secret rooms that served as hiding places for runaway slaves, but the inn's greatest claim to fame are the ghosts walking its halls. The apparition of a 10-year-old girl is often reported staring out a window in a storage room near the kitchen, and an invisible intruder likes to put his hands around the necks of customers in the dining room. Near an ice machine in the cellar, several employees have felt an unseen presence tapping them on the shoulder or holding their hands under the ice when they try to fill buckets. Other manifestations include glasses flying across the dining room, cups falling off shelves for no reason, and mysterious $10 bills materializing in a tip jar. In 1984, investigators held two televised séances in an upstairs lounge in front of 150 witnesses. They claimed to have contacted the spirits of a little girl, a woman innkeeper, and yes, old Captain Stone himself.
Marshall, Michigan - The National House Inn
This brick inn was built as a stagecoach stop in 1835 by Andrew Mann. A secret chamber in the basement indicates it was used as a stop on the Underground Railroad before the Civil War. After 1878, the building became a windmill and later was used as a wagon factory. In the 1920s, the hidden room in the basement was used for the sale and consumption of liquor during Prohibition. After that, the building was converted into apartments. In 1976, the building was completely restored and furnished with antiques. That was when the ghost of a Lady in Red began roaming the halls. With the diverse history of this building, no one has yet hazarded a guess as to who the revenant might be.
Minneapolis, Minnesota - Guthrie Theater
This old opera house is haunted by the ghost of one of its former ushers. Richard Miller was an awkward English boy with few friends, when he worked here in the late 1960s. He attended the University of Minnesota, but never seemed to be accepted by the other students there. Just like in high school, he gained a reputation for being something of a nerd. The taunting and loneliness slowly took its toll. On Saturday, February 5, 1967, he strolled into a Sear store, purchased a surplus Mauser rife and shells, and went back to his car in the parking lot. There, the 18-year-old boy put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. He body was not discovered until the following Monday. He was still wearing his Guthrie Theater usher’s uniform. Within weeks of his suicide, patrons in Row 18, part of the area assigned to Miller, began complaining of an usher constantly walking back and forth. They described Miller down to the large mole on his cheek. Since then, dozens of patrons, employees, ushers, actors, singers, and custodians at the theater have seen young Richard Miller walking slowly up and down the aisle in Row 18, in the Catwalks, or in an exclusive section of seats called the Queen’s Box. The ghost would follow witnesses with his eyes or head but never spoke or made any sound. An exorcism performed in 1994 supposedly placated his restless spirit.
Tupelo, Mississippi - Tupelo Seven Theater
A strange presence that laughs, mumbles, coughs, and makes weird noises chases employees of this modern movie theater. Most of the activity occurs in the first two auditoriums, built in the 1960s. Witnesses say the unidentified ghost haunts the projection booths, third row seats, and the stage area in the theaters.
Joplin, Missouri - Devil's Promenade
Almost every night since 1866, a strange orange ball of light bounces along this road in an easterly direction. As the light moves through the air, it leaves behind luminous traces of dancing sparks. The light has been known to enter cars and buses, but paradoxically, dodges people chasing it. Loud noises also make it disappear. It has been called the Hornet Ghost Light, the Neosho Spook Light, and the Devil's Jack-O'-Lantern, but scientists who studied the phenomenon have never agreed about what causes it. In 1946, a study by the Army Corps of Engineers concluded the phenomenon was "a mysterious light of unknown origin." A 1983 investigation by the Ghost Research Society revealed the light is diamond-shaped, with a hollow center. Legend says it is the ghost of a pair of Quapaw Indian lovers, who committed suicide together. Others believe it is the lantern of a ghostly miner searching for his wife and children, who were abducted by Indians.
Bozeman, Montana - Chico Hot Springs Lodge and Ranch
In May 1986, two night watchmen at this resort hotel came upon the nebulous form of a young woman hovering near a piano in the third floor Lounge. Only the upper body of the white ghost appeared, the rest tailed down to nothing. The face of the peaceful apparition stared right at them for several minutes, enough time for one of the guards to grab a camera from a nearby table and snap a photograph. Only a tiny white spot on the film showed up where the ghost had stood. The same apparition had been seen by guests several times in the past, but this was the first time the Lady in White was photographed. In 1990, two other security guards followed the Lady in White from Lobby to the hallway leading to Room 349, where the presence has been reported by many employees and guests. An antique rocker in the room always ends up facing a window, no matter in which room it is placed. There are many other odd things going on at the hotel, including an old family Bible stays open on a wooden bench in the Attic and never collects any dust. The most likely candidate for all the activity is Percie Knowles, the stubborn wife of the man who built the hotel in 1900. After her husband’s death in 1910, she decided to change it into a first-class healthcare center. By 1917, she had brought a doctor on the staff, opened five more therapeutic pools, and added a hospital wing. She died in 1941, but her stubborn spirit lives on.
Lincoln, Nebraska - State Capitol Building
Visitors to the Dome Observation Deck here report hearing the sounds of a man sobbing, usually on the southeast side of the building. There are several likely candidates for the Capitol Ghost. One is a prison inmate who had a heart attack in 1968, while stringing Christmas lights on the outside of the dome. Another possibility is a 1950s man, who fell ten floors when he leaned too far over the railing of the spiral staircase. Or perhaps, the spirit is that of an Indian ghost sensed in the Lower Basement of the building. The Indians believed the hill on which the capitol now stands was sacred.
Goldfield, Nevada - Goldfield Hotel
Built on top of an abandoned gold mine, this 154-room hotel was first opened in 1908. Since then, it has undergone extensive renovations and added a few non-paying guests. The hotel is considered home to several ghosts. In the downstairs employees' area at the west end of the hotel, Room 109 is a small room with a single bed. The room is haunted by the presence of a pregnant woman. Psychics have seen her ghost chained to a radiator there. Rumors say a pregnant prostitute named Elizabeth was chained in the room by George Winfield, the original owner of the hotel. After giving birth, the woman was left to die in the room and the baby was thrown down the old mine shaft at the northern end of the basement. Elizabeth's ghost even turned up on a photograph taken in the room by a reporter from Las Vegas. On the first floor, the George Winfield Room is said to be haunted by his ghost. Untraceable cigar smoke and fresh ashes have been found there. George's presence has also been detected near the Lobby Staircase, where the ghosts of a midget, and two small children have also been seen. The Gold Room is haunted by a ghost that "stabs" people. High psychic energy is been detected in the Theodore Roosevelt Room and a southwest room on the third floor. Some psychics say that the Goldfield Hotel is one of only seven portals to the Other Side that exist in the modern world.
Nashua, New Hampshire - Country Tavern
The ghost of Elizabeth Ford haunts this building, which dates from 1741. She was murdered by her sea captain husband, who returned after ten months at sea to find his wife had given birth. The enraged man is said to have buried the bodies of Elizabeth and her illegitimate child not far from the house. Elizabeth's playful ghost has been known to entertain children, help with housecleaning, and move small objects such as glasses, plates and knickknacks. She also likes to lift the hair of women in the ladies room and hide their personal possessions. Dozens of employees and customers have sensed her presence. Elizabeth's apparition has been seen in the upstairs dining room and staring out a window in a part of the building that used to be a barn. She is described as about 5-foot, 7-inches tall, with long white hair and wearing a flowing, white gown.
Bernardsville, New Jersey - Bernardsville Public Library
The ghost here is so active, the staff issued it a library card. Phyllis Parker's specter was first encountered in January 1877, in a private residence that now houses part of the library. The building had been converted from a tavern that was constructed during the Revolutionary War. Vealtown Tavern was the scene of a tragic love affair between the innkeeper's daughter and a tenant, Dr. Byram. Just after the two were married, Dr. Byram was hanged by General Anthony Wayne for being a British spy, and his lifeless body was delivered to the tavern. Not knowing what was in the large pine box, Phyllis opened it. On seeing the bug-eyed corpse of her beloved, she became hysterical and suffered a nervous breakdown. Her insane weeping is still heard in the old section of the library, which consists of the Meeting Room and the public Reading Room (where the casket was opened). After renovations in 1974, employees started seeing the apparition of Phyllis moving through the old wing. A videotape recording of a séance, held in 1987 in an effort to contact her spirit, can be played back by patrons in the Local History Room. In November 1989, a child saw the ghost of a woman in a long white dress in the Reading Room.
Cloudcroft, New Mexico - The Lodge
The restaurant in this 85-year-old inn is named after a ghost named Rebecca, and her portraits, including a stained-glass window, are scattered throughout the establishment. Dozens of employees and guests at this mountain resort have recognized the apparition of a woman wearing a long dress, roaming the halls. Rebecca was a beautiful, young maid with striking blue eyes and red hair, who was murdered by a jealous lumberjack at the inn back in the 1930s. Rebecca is a flirtatious, mischievous spirit, who likes to use the telephone in Room 101, the Governor's Suite. Guests in that room sometimes receive phone calls from nowhere, and operators at the resort say that the line to Room 101 is often lit up, even when no one is in the suite. Rebecca's presence is also felt in the Red Dog Saloon, where ashtrays move by themselves and flames appear in the fireplace with no logs or other source of fuel. The psychic flames testify to the raw sexual power of this restless spirit.
Buffalo, New York - Holiday Inn
The ghost of a little girl, who was burnt to death in a house that once stood here, now haunts the modern motel built over the ashes of her home. Guests, maids, managers, and bellboys have all witnessed Tanya's playful spirit. People usually report her jumping on beds in empty rooms or running through the halls at night. Manager Scott Swagler says: "Our housekeepers have stories about Tanya that could fill a book."
Wilmington, North Carolina - Chamber of Commerce
Wilmington's official Welcome Center is home to a ghost, who was once photographed descending a staircase in the building. Known officially as the Price-Gause House, the place has been considered haunted ever since it was built in 1843. Immediately after moving in, the Gause family heard strange footsteps on the stairs and traced an eerie tapping sound that moved along the walls. They finally decided to live with the unidentified presence. Later residents came to the same conclusion. An investigation in October 1967 documented several mysterious sounds and yielded the startling photo of a misty, human form walking down the stairs.
Grand Forks, North Dakota - University of North Dakota
There have been several sightings of the ghost of a girl, usually without legs, floating up one of the tunnels that connect Wilkerson Dining Hall to five dormitories on this campus. In 1988, three students saw her apparition in the West Hall tunnel. They described her as about 5’5" tall, with short dark hair, wearing a nightshirt. In December 1962, before the tunnels were constructed, a young coed froze to death about sixty feet from West Hall. It is thought she slipped on the ice while trying to make her way to the dining hall at around 2:00 AM.
Dayton, Ohio - United States Air Force Museum
Strange things happen in this military museum at night. Objects move by themselves, and guards report hearing unexplainable voices and other eerie sounds. Parts retrieved from Lady Be Good, a B-24 that crashed in the Libyan desert during World War II, are said to move by themselves and could be the source of other paranormal activity at the museum. Seven crewmembers died in the crash. Strange lights are observed in another B-24, the Strawberry Bitch. The helicopter Hop-Along is haunted by its former copilot, whose ghost is seen flipping switches, trying to get the craft to take off. Bloodstains can still be seen on the seat where he died. Another helicopter, the Black Maria, is haunted by a similarly traumatized presence. He is thought to be a pilot hit by gunfire while flying a dangerous mission in Vietnam. Military police have reported seeing the ghost of a little Japanese boy standing next to Bockscar, the bomber that dropped the A-bomb on Nagasaki. Some investigators believe the old Air Force relics on display at the museum attract the spirits of departed crewmembers.
Waurika, Oklahoma - Moneka Mall and Tea Room
A gray, wood frame house is haunted by the presence of a robber killed in the dining room. The large house was constructed in 1892 and served as a Rock Island Railroad boarding house for many years. During that period, a robber broke into the house during supper time and demanded everyone’s money. But the burly railroad men got the upper hand, and the would-be thief died in ensuing struggle. Not wanting to get into trouble with the authorities, the men loaded the body onto a northbound train, where it was later found by strangers and buried in an unmarked grave. Today, the robber’s specter and other ghosts from the building’s colorful past haunt the rooms along the east and north sides, upstairs and down. The sightings became more frequent when Nancy War remodeled it into an antique shop with a small Tea Room restaurant.
Portland, Oregon - White Eagle Café & Saloon
This old tavern and whorehouse was built in 1899 and is haunted by a wide variety of ghostly presences. The basement and second floor are sites of much strange activity, such as objects tossed out of nowhere, groping invisible hands, old coins materializing on the floors, and teardrop-shaped apparitions. An invisible presence walks down the corridor from the bar, enters the men's room, and flushes the toilet. The phantom flushing continued even after a new toilet was installed. The unexplainable crying of a woman is heard on the second floor. There are many candidates for the ghosts here. The basement used to house black prostitutes, while the second floor housed white prostitutes. A tough Chinese bouncer, who kept the peace among the surly customers, disappeared mysteriously while working one night and was never seen again. An abandoned 10-year-old boy named Sam was taken in by one of the owners. Sam worked as a roustabout housekeeper and died in the 1930s at the age of thirty in his second-floor bedroom. The room was sealed for many years with all his belongings locked inside. Chuck Hughes bought the building in 1978 and quickly became a believer in ghosts. He has already seen several tear-drop-shaped ghosts in upstairs rooms.
Easton, Pennsylvania - Easton Public Library
During construction of this building in 1903, workers uncovered the graves of 514 people. Most of the bodies were moved to other cemeteries, but at least thirty were left unclaimed. Two prominent former citizens, Elizabeth Bell "Mammy" Morgan and William Parsons, were reburied in graves with markers on the library grounds. Mammy Morgan is buried on the west lawn and Parsons is buried on the front lawn. The other corpses, and any unidentified pieces of bodies, were unceremoniously dumped into an underground concrete vault on the property. Today, the library is haunted by the misplaced souls. Doors slam shut and open suddenly, filing cabinet drawers swing open for no reason, and unseen hands run through the hair or touch the shoulders of patrons and staff. And over the years, many people have reported the ghost of Mammy Morgan, roaming the library grounds.
Cranston, Rhode Island - Sprague Mansion
Ghosts have been seen in this mansion since 1925, when an apparition was seen descending the staircase. Later residents told of a ghost in the Wine Cellar and complained of an unseen force that flung off their blankets in the middle of the night. One room in particular, called the Doll Room because of the collection of porcelain dolls there, is the source of many unnerving phenomena, including eerie footsteps, lights that go on by themselves, and a ghostly presence. The house was built in 1790 by William Sprague, who operated a cotton mill and bleachery on the property. One evening William got a fish bone caught in his throat and died during surgery to remove it. His sons, Amasa and William Jr., made a highly successful business from their inheritance. William Jr. became a U.S. Senator, while his brother tended the business. Then, in 1864, Amasa was found brutally beaten to death. A man whom Amasa had prevented from obtaining a liquor license was executed for the murder, but one of the accused's brothers later confessed to the crime. As a result of the miscarriage of justice, Rhode Island passed a law forbidding capitol punishment. One of Amasa's sons went on to become governor, and the other became a brigadier general and U.S. Senator. After the Civil War, the Sprague fortune dwindled and the house was sold. Séances at the mansion have aroused the spirit of Amasa Sprague and a butler who worked there in the mid-1890s. Both spirits accepted responsibility for the supernatural events that take place in Sprague Mansion.
Cayce, South Carolina - Airport High School
The tall, thin ghost of a man with his hands on his hips is seen in the halls here. He is George Pair, the school's first principal. The high school was built in 1958 and Pair died in 1962. He worked hard to get the school built and is said to protect the premises from harm. Most sightings have occurred in the "300s" corridor. Custodians, students, and visitors have reported encountering the stern ghost.
Deadwood, South Dakota - Hotel Bullock
The ghost of Deadwood's first sheriff, Seth Bullock, walks the halls of the hotel he founded. Bullock was sheriff in the 1870s and died here in 1919. Since then, over thirty people have seen his ghost. Guests, employees, and managers of this hotel have encountered the tough old sheriff, "whose gaze could stop fights."
Wartrace, Tennesse - Walking Horse Hotel
This old hotel is home to a white apparition that has appeared on the stairway. Manager George Wright reports that the ghost has been seen by employees and at least one guest.
Waxahachie, Texas - Catfish Plantation Restaurant
The sign at the entrance to this quaint restaurant reads: "If you have a ghostly experience, please tell us!" The quaint Victorian house was built in 1895 by a farmer named Anderson. He had a daughter, Elizabeth, who was strangled to death on her wedding day in the 1920s. She died where the Ladies’ Room is now located and became one of the ghosts of Catfish Plantation. There two others. One is a farmer named Will, who died in the house in the 1930s. The other is an elderly lady named Caroline Mooney, who died in the house in 1970. The three ghosts are responsible for the bone-numbing cold spots that move silently through the house, as well as flying objects and slamming doors. Elizabeth's kindly presence is felt mostly in the Dining Room, where she likes to reach out and touch people. Will's apparition is often seen on the Front Porch, while Caroline's angry spirit is detected in the Kitchen. Ever since Melissa and Tom Baker remodeled the house into a Cajun eatery in 1984, dozens of employees, customers, and news people have witnessed paranormal manifestations here.
Salt Lake City, Utah - Old Deseret
Visitors and guides at this historical settlement have reported dozens of ghostly encounters in recent years. The buildings were part of the original colony established by Brigham Young, who led Mormons west after their leader, Joseph Smith, was murdered by an Illinois mob in 1844. Before Brigham Young's Forest Farmhouse was moved to the historical park, his ghost haunted his residence for fifteen years. After it was moved, the house was taken over by his 19th wife, Ann Eliza Webb. Her petite apparition, dressed in black, is still seen peering out of the dining room window of the house. After Ann Eliza divorced Young, she toured the country denouncing him and the Mormon Church. At nearby Jewkes-Draper Home, the ghostly sounds of children at a party are heard, and the apparition of Mary Fielding Smith has been observed many times standing in the doorway of Smith House. Sometimes Mrs. Smith is seen wagging her finger angrily, perhaps because her house was set facing the wrong way when it was moved to the park.
Wilmington, Vermont - White House of Wilmington
This house was built in 1915, but strange things did not occur until after it was remodeled into an inn. Manager Bob Grinold has reported unexplained footsteps and other sounds, as well as a shadowy presence walking the halls.
Charles City, Virginia - Berkeley Plantation
Berkeley Plantation was founded in 1619 by 38 settlers from Berkeley Castle in England. The manor house was built by Benjamin Harrison in 1726. Both George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were guests at the plantation. During the Civil War, General McCellan's Federal troops occupied Berkeley after retreating from Richmond. After the war, the plantation was bought by John Jamieson, a Scotsman who served as a drummer boy for McCellan. In 1927, the estate was inherited by his son, Malcolm, and has been in the Jamieson family ever since. Visitors to the restored mansion have reported seeing and hearing the ghost of a little drummer boy. The apparition of a tall, gaunt man has been seen walking along the riverbank, sometimes walking side-by-side with the little drummer boy along the old picket fence that runs up the hill to the cemetery.
Seattle, Washington - Harvard Exit Theater
This cinema, opened in 1968, is haunted. The movie theater is in a three-story brick building constructed in the 1900s. When a second auditorium and screen was constructed on the third floor in the early 1970s, the ghosts of several women dressed in turn-of-the-century clothing began to appear. Most of the sightings were on the third floor and near a fireplace on the first floor. The encounters were accompanied by an assortment of strange phenomena, which continued until 1987. The only possible historical connection is Bertha Landes, the founder of the Women's Century Club, which had occupied the building for many years. From 1926 to 1928, Landes served as Seattle's first woman mayor. In 1988, relics of her administration and her personal belongings were displayed at a downtown museum, which reported a number of inexplicable incidents that some thought were manifestations of Landes' spirit.
Harpers Ferry National Park , West Virginia - Harpers Ferry
The white-haired ghost of John Brown walks alongside a black dog down the street here. They stroll past the store fronts to the door of the Fire Engine House, where they disappear. Brown's ghost is so real that some tourists have asked him to pose for pictures. The Kansas abolitionist brought his band of followers to Harpers Ferry to take the Confederate Arsenal and arm the slaves. He took hostages and held them in the arsenal's fire house, but ninety Marines under General Robert E. Lee broke into the building and took Brown and his followers prisoners. John Brown was hanged on December 2, 1859, a little over a year before the start of the Civil War. Hog Alley is haunted by one of Brown’s men who was mutilated and left for the hogs. At St. Peter’s Catholic Church, the ghost of a priest disappears through a wall, and the stone steps leading into the church are haunted by the cries of a baby who was killed by a mortar shell there during the Civil War.
La Crosse, Wisconsin - Bodega Brew Pub
The ghost of a former poolroom owner haunts this building. Paul Malin operated the Malin Pool and Sample Room in the 1890s. After his death in 1901, his ghost started to appear regularly to new owners. No one knew why the building changed hands so many times in the five years after Malin died, but the truth surface in 1907, when A.J. "Skimmer" Hine, a popular German immigrant, confided to friends that he was giving up his Union Saloon in the building because it was haunted by Malin’s ghost. Hine said the ghost appeared to him each night and kept him from sleeping by running amok and making strange noises.
Sheridan, Wyoming - Sheridan Inn
This inn is haunted by the spirit of Miss Kate Arnold, a housekeeper who lived here for 65 years. The inn opened in 1893 and was once owned by Buffalo Bill Cody. Miss Kate's presence is felt strongest in her former room on the third floor, near the front downstairs windows, or in the ballroom. Sometimes, she is detected as a moving cold spot, at other times only her soft footsteps are heard. The owners have preserved her room just as she left it and interred her ashes in the wall above her favorite chair.
Do you know of a Haunted location? Please email it to us at - E-mail
Information curtisy of Haunted-Places.com - Paranormal Travel Guide