How to use FileZilla FTP:
This tutorial will show you:
- How to connect to the Server via FTP
- How to download files to your computer
- How to upload files to the server
1. Run the FileZilla_(Event_Name).exe file by double clicking on it. Place the location where you want the application to be extracted to in the “Destination folder” field. Note that the default folder is the current folder. When this selected click “Install.”
Figure 1: Installation menu for FileZilla_(Event_Name).exe
2. Open the “FileZilla_(Event_Name)” folder that was created in the “Destination folder” that was chosen in part 1. When in this folder double click on the “FileZilla.exe” icon. Note depending on your computer settings it might be simply called “FileZilla”.
Figure 2: Installed folder for “FileZilla_(Event_Name).” Double click on the file named “FileZilla”
3. The FileZilla ftp program will now click on the down arrow next to the computer on the top left then click on your event. In this case it is EAPSI 2008 Photos
Figure 3: FileZilla Program, click on the arrow on the top left and then on the given event, in this case EAPSI 2008 Photos.
After this is done you are connected to the server. The right panel is the panel of the contents of the server and the left panel is the contents of your computer.
Figure 4: (Left) Your Computer, (Right) Server
4. To DOWNLOAD from the server:
Pick what folder or file you want to download. Left click on the folder or file and click on “Add to Queue.” The files will download to the folder that is open on the left panel, in this case it will download to your C:\ drive.
Figure 5: click “Add to Queue” to add files that you want to be downloaded to C:\
After this is done the bottom panel will contain all of the files you wish to download. When you have added all the files you wish to download right click on one of the files on the bottom pane and click “Process Queue”
Figure 6: Right click on the bottom pain and say “Process Queue” to start the transfer process
You will then see how much each file has downloaded, the speed, the time elapsed and time remaining for each file. Just wait until all of the files have finished, the bottom pane will be empty when all items have finished downloading.
Figure 7: downloading files showing time elapsed, time remaining, percentage complete and speed of transfer
Your files have now been downloaded to your computer.
5. To UPLOAD to the server.
In order to upload to the server just drag the files or folder from your computer into the right panel “Server.”
Figure 8: Drag and drop the files to the directory on the right pane “Server.”
You then do the same thing you did for downloading the files, you will right click on one of the files on the bottom pane and click “Process Queue”
Figure 9: Right click on the bottom pain and say “Process Queue” to start the transfer process
When the files are being transferred it will look similar to that of downloading the files. You will then see how much each file has uploaded, the speed, the time elapsed and time remaining for each file. Just wait until all of the files have finished, the bottom pane will be empty when all items have finished uploading.
Figure 10: uploading files showing time elapsed, time remaining, percentage complete and speed of transfer
Your files have now been uploaded to the server.