This tour features stops at four historic homes in Delaware County. These dwellings are some of the oldest homes in the area, ranging from Swedish Cabin, built in the early 1600s to the John Chads House, built in 1725. Touring these 17th and 18th Century structures, one gets a sense of life back in those times, and different they are from our own lives. While only a few homes are featured in this tour, there are numerous other historic houses in Delaware that can be visited.
9 Creek Road Drexel Hill, PA 19026 (Upper Darby Township)
Hours: Only open to the public for special events or pre-arranged group tours
Not much is known about origins of the Swedish Cabin or its first inhabitants, since no written records exist. It was built by early Swedish settlers in the early to mid 1600's and was occupied for the next 300 years. The cabin became property of Upper Darby Township in the 1930's but fell into disrepair until it was restored in the 1980's. While the cabin is generally not open to the public except for special events, the grounds contain a nature trail and the property is situated on a picturesque spot along the Darby Creek, making it a nice place to visit.
143 Myrtle Ave Havertown, PA 19083 (Haverford Township)
Admission: Adults - $3; Children - $1
Hours: Tours are offered from April 4 - October 25 and December 1 - December 31; Saturdays and Sundays; 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm. The estate is used for weddings and private parties, so tours are not offered when an event is taking pace. Calling in advance to check availability may be wise.
The original section of the Grange Estate was constructed in 1700 by Henry Lewis, Jr, a Welsh Quaker. Lewis would later add several other sections. The house changed ownership several times throughout the years with subsequent owners building more additions and making improvements. The property was purchased by Haverford Township in 1974. The estate is now available for weddings and private parties.
Lawrence Road and Springhouse Road Broomall, PA 19008 (Marple Township)
Hours: Last Sunday in April - Last Sunday in October; Sundays; 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
The Thomas Massey House was built in the early 1690's by Thomas Massey, an English Quaker who came to America as an indentured servant. Upon receiving his freedom, Massey received 100 acres of property from his former master and built a log house. In 1696 he acquired an additional 200 acres and added a brick structure to the existing home. In 1731, Massey's son replaced the original wood structure with a brick addition. The home was donated to Marple Township in 1964 and was restored. The house is now open for tours and other special events.
1736 North Creek Road Chadds Ford, PA 19317 (Birmingham Township)
Hours: May - September; Saturdays & Sundays ; 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
The John Chads House was built in 1725 on 500 acres of property near the Brandywine creek which Chads inherited from his father in 1713. The modest sized house is a two-story, banked structure built out of local stone. The property also contains a Springhouse where Chads may have lived while the main house was being constructed. The house was purchased by the Chadds Ford Historical Society in 1968 and restored. The house sits across the street from the Chadds Ford Historical Society Barn, home to the historical society, and is open to the public. Special events are scheduled throughout the summer at both the house and the historical society barn.
Use the Google map below to find directions from one site to the next.
View Historic Homes of Delaware County in a larger map