Waverly: A Victorian Village

Much of the land which was to become Waverly was initally granted by Lord Baltimore to Tobias Stanboro in 1688. Stanboro named his estate "Huntington" and the area was known by this name until the middle of the 19th century. Beginning in 1790, the estate was subdivided and a village developed along Greenmount Avenue between what would become 33rd and 35th streets. When this village applied for a post office after the Civil War, it was told to change its name, to avoid conflicting with other Huntingtons in Maryland. Possibly reflecting the enormous popularity of Sir Walter Scott's novel Waverley at the time, the residents chose to name their town Waverly.

House on 33rd St.

This unidentified house on 33rd Street shows the rural character of the neighborhood in the 19th century. (From the collection of the Maryland Historical Society.)