Our Town Frederiksted

Frederiksted Historic District

The Historic Town of Frederiksted was designated a Historic and Architectural Control District by Act No. 5554, Bill No. 18-0191, May 22, 1990.

The Frederiksted Architectural and Historic District is bounded as follows: Beginning at the southwest corner of Frederiksted where Fisher Street adjoins the sea, the line runs approximately east and within 100 feet of the south side of Fisher Street to the southwest corner of Plot No. 40E of La Grange where New Street intersects Fisher Street; thence within 100 feet of the east side of New Street to the intersection of Queen Cross Street; thence east within 100 feet of both sides of the La Grange Road to the intersection of East Street; thence north along the rear lot lines of the properties on East Street to the rear lot line of the cemetery; thence northwest to the intersection of New Street and Custom House Street; thence west along the rear lot lines of Custom House Street to the intersection of Prince Street; thence north along the rear lot lines of Prince Street to the boundary of the park; thence west along the park boundary to the intersection of King Street; thence west to the sea; thence south along the shore to the beginning.​ The Historic District of Frederiksted includes any land that may be created by new growth, accretion or landfill caused by nature of man, if such new land or landfill is contiguous to any existing land within the boundaries of the Frederiksted Historic District.​ In addition, the town of Frederiksted has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places as an area of particular historical and architectural interest.


View Larger Map

Historical Highlights

  • Frederiksted is a town on the west end of St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. It is home to Fort Frederik, constructed to protect the town from pirate raids and attacks from rival imperialist nations. It was named after Frederick V of Denmark, who purchased the Danish West Indies in 1754.

  • Frederiksted is often referred to as "Freedom City" by locals. This nickname has to do with the fact that the town was the site of the emancipation of slaves in the then-Danish West Indies. The emancipation of slaves was proclaimed on July 3, 1848, at Fort Frederik on the waterfront at the northern edge of Frederiksted by Governor-General Peter von Scholten after slaves led by General Buddhoe (a slave) revolted.

  • Frederiksted is home to one of two deep water ports on St. Croix, the other being located at the South Port which includes Hovensa oil refinery tank farm and Renaissance Industrial Park. It is the main port for cruise ships visiting the island. Passengers disembark at the pier, where they may explore the town or catch a waiting taxi that will bring them to Christiansted or other points of interest across St. Croix.

  • The town was destroyed by a labor revolt (known as "The Fireburn" because arson was utilized as a means of revolt) in October 1878, which was led by four Crucian female laborers. Frederiksted was later restored during the Victorian era, as reflected in the town's architecture.

  • Modern Frederiksted operates at a slower pace than Christiansted, except for carnival in January and whenever cruise ships dock in Frederiksted's deepwater port. In recent years successful redevelopment efforts have begun to restore and revitalize this National Historic Site.

  • The 2000 census population of the town was 732, and that of the larger sub-district was 3,767.

JOIN OTF      DONATE